Olga's Reviews > Fever

Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: ughhhh, aww-yeah-dystopia-apocalyptica, hope-the-sequel-is-better, 2-star-rating
Read on June 30, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Things I enjoyed in this book:
-Character development of Rhine; I feel as though readers got to know her more intimately.

-Maddie is an absolutely wonderful character, and I feel she adds a layer of meaning and strength to a novel that sometimes wallows in depression and misery.

-The graphic design of this book - the model on the cover doesn't impress me so much, but the futuristic boxes and squiggles that mark the pages and publishing information? Unf.

What I didn't like:
-Everything about the virus. It STILL makes no sense that people would die at random ages and how easily this virus could have been prevented if scientists would have bothered to do generational trials before unleashing it on the entire fucking population. And the fact that there is a high population of people who protest finding a cure? It just... I don't know, feels rather improbable, desiccated society or not.

-Sex, and how it was handled. First off, the chemistry between Rhine and Gabriel? Nonexistent. I was initially excited that Rhine would be able to experience her budding sexuality and romantic relationships in a state of near-normalcy through her relationship with Gabriel, but the whole book is full of prostitution, voyeurism, and attempted sexual assault. I realize this isn't the Hunger Games, don't get me wrong. I know that the world in which Rhine lives views women as sexual objects and wombs, but it would have been nice to see even a SLICE of the contrary. Hell, there was more chemistry between Rhine and Linden in Wither, and she "hates" him. (Of course, I never saw what was so bad with Linden, or Cecily for that matter. Maybe they weren't brave enough to go against their horrible circumstances, but they aren't "bad" people.)

-The sciencey-experiment bit that was slapped into the last fifty pages. What. I'm hoping things pick up in the next installment, because the ending of this book just pissed me off.

I read this book in a couple of hours, and it was an interesting read, but there are still a lot of things that bother me about this series. I enjoyed Rhine's entrapment in the mansion, and her relationship with her sister wives and Linden, much more than her travels undertaken in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever.

06/30/2012 page 146
43.0% "I'm not quite halfway finished, but I think I might like this book better than its predecessor! (in completely different ways, though; while Wither I found compelling because of the relationships/chemistry between the characters, I find the budding personality of Rhine in Fever to be compelling.) (The virus deal is still ridiculous, though.)"
show 1 hidden update…