Jeff Scott's Reviews > The Fabric of the Cosmos

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, science, physics, audiobooks, overdrive-library
Read from January 19 to February 13, 2012

Fabric of the Cosmos sets upon the idea that what we se everyday is a veil, that there is a true reality that goes beyond our everyday perceptions. The book starts out with very basic concepts that are easy to grasp and the heat gets turned up from there. There are some mind-bending questions asked, “Why does our memory only remember the past, why not things that are yet to happen?” Brian Greene attempts to explain these high-end concepts using real world examples (a la Star Wars and The Simpson).

The best example comes in the introduction where he gives the example of the rose. On its own we can appreciate its beauty, but using the knowledge of physics, we can be amazed at its existence so much more. That example demonstrates the passion of Brian Greene’s book, but it also reminded me of an episode of The Simpson where the teachers have gone on strike. One of the scientists is teaching a kindergarten class and is using a kids bubble popper. The kids want to play with it, but he retorts with something like, “You won’t appreciate the science of it as much as I do.”

I thought another example from the book is a good explanation of what it is like to read the book. Greene explains about space-time, in that, you are either taking up space or time. When you are resting, you are taking up space, when you are moving, you are taking up time. This kind of concept really blew my mind. I always like the concept of time travel. Scientists provided this theory by sending a plane around the world with an atomic clock to prove the point. When the plan landed the clock was one/one billionth of a second behind. It’s an interesting proof, but my first reaction was, “that’s it?”

I comprehended the first three-quarters of the book. While the book provides mind-blowing facts, you cannot discern them in everyday life, which is the point of the book. It's a fascinating history of physics told in laymen's terms. It’s fascinating to a point, but many of the concepts I couldn't fully comprehend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fabric of the Cosmos.

01/27/2012 page 142
25.0% "#fridayreads"
02/06/2012 page 303
53.0% "When the author writes about infinitely parellel universes, I think of the TV Show Sliders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders"
show 1 hidden update…