GymGuy's Reviews > A to Z

A to Z by Marie Sexton

Apr 03, 13

bookshelves: m-m-romance
Read in January, 2012

I was excited to read this book after having read "Promises," but somehow this book just didn't have the impact. Sweet story, but for me, the two MCs just didn't gel. I never felt that they were much of a match. I was sympathetic to both, but I just didn't really feel much for either of them. I think perhaps one of the main detractors was the switching back and forth with the POV. I've read other books that attempted to do this, where the first-person POV is changed back and forth. I think it just adds to the confusion. You never really get a chance to focus on one particular person, because just as soon as you get settled in, the "I" in the story suddenly switches. If I had to put the book down for a bit in the middle of a chapter, I'd have to go back and find who was speaking...rather irritating. There is really nothing that was expressed alternating first-person that couldn't have been expressed in third-person.

I just really didn't understand Angelo. When he spoke, it was very broken and simplistic, yet in his thoughts they were at times rather eloquent and intuitive. I'm not sure why the difference. If he could think those thoughts, then why couldn't he express them verbally?

Zach was a Casper Milque Toast. No ambition, no drive and no direction. Even as the story progressed, he never really changed. Just a boring character.

This book doesn't hold a candle to "Promises." A cute story, but very un-remarkable.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A to Z.