Jen's Reviews > Dead Irish

Dead Irish by John Lescroart

Jul 13, 08

bookshelves: detective-fiction, male-author
Read in July, 2008

Dismas Hardy is a former cop/former attorney-turned bartender. And he's quite content in this role as bartender at the Little Shamrock; it leaves him time to compete at darts. But, when Eddie Cochran, his boss's brother-in-law, apparently commits suicide and leaves his pregnant wife with no insurance money, Diz is pulled into the investigation.

For the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As far as character names go...Dismas is pretty darn cool. Right up there with Elvis! And the character of Dismas is definitely layered with all kinds of complexity. I took an immediate liking to him.

The plot was an intriguing one, and I think Lescroart did an excellent job on the build-up. A lot of mysterious events, possible culprits...I liked how Lescroart weaved in cultural aspects. The conclusion was a little more of a let-down. I didn't really "buy it." I'll try to say this without any spoilers here (for those who like me have not read Lescroart yet). There's a point where the police say to Hardy, "but where's the motive?" I found myself saying, "this character committed this heinous crime for THAT reason? Really?" Maybe my own preconceived notions influenced my reaction; I'm not sure. I just know the ending was a bit of a let down for me.

There were also a couple of occasions where Lescroart's choice of dialogue was a bit offensive to me as a reader. I think it could have remained realistic without going to the degree that Lescroart did. It wasn't often; maybe twice, but they did stick out in my mind.

I listened to this on audiobook. The reader was David Colacci. I thought he did an excellent job. I love the richness of his voice. Not having read a Hardy book before, I didn't have an idea in my mind what he should sound like, but I do think Colacci did a great job of bringing Hardy to life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Irish.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cindi I see you don't have any other John Lescroart books on your Read shelf. I love the Dismas Hardy series. Good legal thrillers; well-written. Some others are better than this one, but it's one of the first in the series.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen This is my first Lescroart. I'm enjoying it so far. I actually picked it because it was what my library had on audiobook. I listen to them on my drive to and from work and just finished up Killer Weekend (Ridley Pearson). I'm glad to hear it is one of the earlier in the series, though. I tend to insist on reading things in order, but this was the only Lescroart they had...usually I have to put in requests for loans from other libraries...my specific branch doesn't have the greatest selection of audios.

Ms.pegasus Had the same reaction as you about the denouement. Didn't find any of the dialogue offensive, but maybe the impact is different when you hear it rather than just reading it. Nice, candid review.