Monica!'s Reviews > Daughter of the Flames

Daughter of the Flames by Zoë Marriott

In Daughter of the Flames, we’re treated to a plucky orphan-turned-(view spoiler), martial arts, traitors, poisoning, intrigue, and the most elaborate wedding gown ever. There’s also enough fluffy romance to keep any girl happy, as long as they’re not squicked out by a sixteen-year-old marrying a man in his mid- to late-twenties. The man in question, Sorin, has “golden blue” eyes the color of peacock feathers, “long silver-blond hair” that occasionally falls around and frames his face, and a warrior’s trained prowess.

Blahahahaa! Yes please.

Congrats to Zoe Marriott, who obviously has done her research into building a realistic fantasy world. You’ll think she actually travelled to a mountain-top abbey filled with ninja-like monks, and spent laborious hours researching the native culture there (and, presumably, gazing at the aforementioned attractive ninja-like monks). The details of the various castes are a little confusing, but are at least used consistently and fairly understandably.

The characters themselves can be a little clichéd, if only because they’re so… well, clichéd. Zira is Zihara – a novice warrior and (view spoiler). Sorin is strong and confident, until he must (view spoiler). And his peacock eyeballs. Can't forget those. King Abheron is a straight-up child murderer, but he giggles like a schoolgirl as he feeds wild deer by hand. But! Clichés aside, and convoluted plot aside, it all let up to a very satisfying conclusion.

Of course, occasionally the book reads like a very depressing fortune cookie. Some of the better gems:

“There are always a million and one things wrong. Really, life is only a series of interconnected disasters. Each one pushes us forward to the next.”

No one should know exactly who they are. It is terrifying. And I have to live with it, for the rest of my life.

“You’re young yet,” he said with a touch of weariness. “You will learn, as you get older, that destiny is a crashing tide. It picks us up, carries us away. No matter how we struggle and fight, there is no escaping it.”

Yeesh.

On the other hand, did I mention the golden-blue-eyed prince o’ hotness? He’ll cheer you up.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Flames.