Rachael's Reviews > Time Was Soft There: A Paris Sojourn at Shakespeare & Co.

Time Was Soft There by Jeremy Mercer

Jan 18, 12

Recommended to Rachael by: Nichole Funkey
Read from January 01 to 18, 2012, read count: 1

This book had all of the key ingredients for a memoir I'd love (a journalist living a in a Parisian bookstore), but I just couldn't enjoy the writer's style. Perhaps it is that Jeremy Mercer, the crime journalist, writes in such a frank and dry tone. I'm sure he's a fabulous writer of criminal journalism. I just wanted more from his friendship with George and I wanted more from his relationships with men and women during his time at Shakespeare & Co. I know he has a personality in there, but the memoir only allowed me to see his passionate moments of anger, not happiness, sadness, love, etc. I enjoyed the characters but their surface descriptions didn't cut it for me. I felt that if I had spent a week in the bookstore, I could have known as much about these characters as I read in this book. Not enough depth for my liking.

That being said, I'm glad I read this book after George's death back in December 2011. I know how the story really ends and that made for a tender last two chapters. I also enjoyed the subtle book and author recommendations found in this book, as George and other residents read in the bookstore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Was Soft There.