Alexandra's Reviews > Still Waters

Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne

Jan 25, 12

Read from January 11 to 24, 2012 you're just gonna end the book right there Emma Carlson Berne? Really? How about, oh, I don't know, resolving things?! You can't just drop a random insane bomb on me like that and then a few pages later, go ahead and end the book. You just can't. That wasn't an ending. WHERE'S THE REST OF THE STORY? It took you that long to actually have something happen and then you just moved along like it was nothing, and tied things up with a pretty bow and ended it. Were you behind schedule on your deadline? Was your publisher threatening to drop you? Were you FORCED to just stop writing? WHAT HAPPENED?

This book, I tell you. *shakes head*

The pacing of this book was fairly slow. No complaints here, that's just how I like it. I mean there was a time in the book when NOTHING was happening but it was still okay just because the author did a really amazing job of prolonging things and making you think about all the possibilities of what could potentially occur in an abandoned house in the middle of nowhere. I absolutely loved the scenery and the descriptions of all the little odds and ends that came together to make Pine House and the surrounding area terrifying.

Chapter 15 gave me a nightmare. No really. It scared me more than anything I can ever remember reading. It was so vivid in my mind, that later when I went to bed, I had a dream very similar to what happened in the chapter. Holyshit. There are a lot of complaints I can make about Still Waters but Emma Carlson Berne really knows how to conjure up very real, terrifying images. Her writing is very good. Except for this line: "Colin chewed manfully for a few moments." Because really. Manfully?

I just kind of feel gipped. I spent $9.99 of my Barnes & Noble gift card on this book and I just feel like Ms. Berne led me on and teased me and got me all amped up and then left me hanging. Much like how Hannah did to Colin throughout most of this book, ohhhhhh. Speaking of, it super bothered me that there was not more ~physical contact~ between those two lovebirds. I mean, a house in the middle of nowhere..just the two of them..come on!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Waters.

01/15/2012 page 69
33.0% "Hannah, you're here, alone with your boyfriend for the first time, really alone, at Pine House, and nothing to do but just lie around, eat, swim, talk.
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Smiley I'm just starting this book. I hope I'm not as pissed off as you sound when I finish it!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Smiley Ok, I finished and I agree w/ a lot of what you said in your review. I wish there would've been more resolve at the end. I did have a couple of questions as to what happened to 2 of the characters that we found little about at the end. And yeah, for 2 teenagers alone at a lakehouse for the weekend, I wanted a little more sex thrown onto these pages, lol! And when I read about the "chewing manfully," I thought of you and busted out laughing. What a dumb line, but there were more in the book just like it. This author is a good writer, but she comes up w/ some really dumb lines!

Alexandra i know! i really don't like when books end abruptly when there is no sequel. it irks me. it's like, we have invested all this time into reading and then we're kind of let down :| (but even with all my complaints, i still rated it 4 stars & i see you did too! the story was GOOD, i just wanted more)
and YES. seriously?! two young, attractive teens in the middle of nowhere at a lake house?! and NO SEX? oh hell no.