Annie's Reviews > Jessica Rules the Dark Side

Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: loved-this
Read on January 11, 2012

Wow. I'd forgotten how much I loved Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, but reading this brought it all back... I really need to go reread it now!!

This novel is written from various points of view: from Mindy and Jess's narration, to emails from Lucius, the book jumps from one place to the next, dragging the reader along on a dynamic journey... and Raniero, as a 'mystery' character, is a great edition to this cast of narrators, who, let's face it, we already know quite a lot about.

Jess and Mindy and Lucius are all as fabulous as ever. Lucius is still fond of post scripts, Mindy still whittles on about fashion and Jess is still an incredible main character. I liked how she continued 'growing up' in this book. (She was surprisingly weak at the start of the novel, time at the palace had worn her down, but she starts to take control of her life once more as events unfold.)

One of the best things about this series is the give and take between Lucius and Jess, neither one dominates their relationship. Ms Fantaskey introduces a new romance in this novel - Mindy and surfer dude Raniero (who has an interesting history). It's feisty and heart felt and laugh out loud funny and tender. And just the thing now Lucius and Jess are wed.

The novel was a bit faster paced than Jessica's Guide, but the beginning chapters provide enough 'touristy' scenes that you settle back into their world before you're accosted by a grand murder mystery and a locked up prince. I just have to say that I loved reading 'The Wedding' on Ms Fantaskey's website - I'm the sort of person who craves these 'padding' scenes!

And of course this book had the perfect ending... *Sigh.*

If you loved Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, then this is a must read, it's that simple! I hope Ms Fantaskey chooses to write more books set within this universe she's created - as it breeds fascinating fiction.

Last words: romance, mythology, fun, intrigue, compulsive reading, dark, YA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jessica Rules the Dark Side.

01/11/2012 page 51
17.0% "Now I remember why I adored the first book so much... So glad this series hasn't lost its magic!"