Karen's Reviews > Three-Day Town

Three-Day Town by Margaret Maron

Jan 26, 12

Read from January 11 to 23, 2012

Publisher's synopsis:
Judge Deborah Knott and Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant are on a train to New York, finally on a honeymoon after a year of marriage. January in New York might not be the perfect time to visit, but they'll take it. The trip is a Christmas present from Dwight's sister-in-law, who arranged for them to stay in an Upper West Side apartment for one week. While in New York, Deborah has been asked to deliver a package to Lt. Sigrid Harald of the NYPD. Sigrid offers to swing by the apartment to pick up the box, but when they reach the apartment, they discover that it is missing and the doorman has been murdered. Despite their best efforts to enjoy a blissful getaway, Deborah and Dwight soon find that they've teamed up with Sigrid and her team to catch the killer before he strikes again.

My thoughts:
First things first, I was new to Margaret Maron's books and her wonderful characters Deborah Knott and Sigrid Harald! If you don't already know them, this is a brilliant way for Maron to introduce Knott and Harald to new readers and new fans!!!

The title of the book, Three-Day Town references a quote by James Cameron who commented that New York City is "the finest three-day town on earth" and Maron's story unfold over just three days. I likes the characters and being a huge fan of the city, I easily felt like I was there with them, trying to figure out who was murdering the people in the apartment building and why.

Maron crafts a well spun tale and a very enjoyable one. Her characters are crisply drawn and different enough in nature so as to add a multi-layered mix of suspects and victims alike! I liked that there was some tie ins with relatives and friends of relatives. To me that's the way my world is populated and it seems like a normal community of interwoven lives.

For me, reviewing mysteries and suspense stories are the most difficult. The synopsis gives you the plot and I hope I've told you enough about how I saw the story painted by the author. It's fun, I almost had the murderer figured out and that's what a suspense is about, the "who done it?" part of the book is strong and yet fun to read.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars! It held my interest and Maron tells a great story!

*This galley was provided to my by the publisher through NetGalley.com and in no way affected my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three-Day Town.