Stephanne Stacey's Reviews > Troll Fell

Troll Fell by Katherine Langrish

1956964
Jan 11, 12

Read in January, 2012

I was really disappointed with this book. If it was meant for young preteens it's a little dark. It addresses family abuse both mental and physical, death, theft, and selfishness. That was all in the first chapter and it didn't get better at any point. There was really no lightheartedness to help the mood of the book and enable the reader to have hope for the protagonist.

Now the protagonist, who is 12 years old, is one of the dumbest and cowardly kids I have read about. Even my own children who are younger than this character would have been able to figure out some of the issues and come up with a solution sooner. He is ruled by his many fears and accepts his new life with nothing more than a few quip words.

Now as for the world Katherine created for this story. I really like some of the ideas that she had and wished that more could have been done with it. There seemed to be more developement with more of the creatures that were not trolls than there were with the trolls themselves. Most of that development came as hearsay. Katherine has potential as a writer, but this book is not worth the time to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troll Fell.