~Tina~'s Reviews > While He Was Away

While He Was Away by Karen Halvorsen Schreck

May 26, 12

bookshelves: cover-crazz, kobo-own, contemporary, young-adult, read-2012
Read from May 24 to 26, 2012

While He Was Away is a story about going through the motions of being an army-girlfriend and all the hopes and sorrow that comes with it.

Beautifully and powerfully portrayed, David and Penna's story really hit something deep within me. I was surprised how invested I was with these characters since David wasn't physically present throughout the story, but Karen Schreck did a great job of connecting us with him and what he's going through on the other side. All those little moments during the phone calls and e-mails and drawings and Skype was so very touching. It just felt so real and so heartbreaking.
We also see what life is like for Penna, how much she misses David and how strong she is for him, but she has to move on, work, hang out with friends and learn to live for the time when she can talk to David again. She has to believe she can make it through this, so when she finds out that her grandmother is still alive and went through something very much similar to her situation, she knows that she has to find her. I really liked how this part of the story revolved around what was going on with Penna's personal life, it really complimented the story quite nicely.

My only issue would have to be that ending. Have you ever read If I Stay by Gayle Forman? Well if you have then you'll remember what it felt like before we found out that there was a sequel in the works. That's what the ending to this book felt like to me. That gut-wrenching need to know what happens next and the pain of possibly never knowing. My imagination only goes so far before it wants the real thing. So, Please tell me we're getting a sequel. It just can't end here!

Bottom line. I really just loved this one. It's realistic and so beautifully told. I can't wait to see what Schreck has in store for us next. I just hope she continues David and Penna's story.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While He Was Away.

Arlene My only issue would have to be that ending.

Tina... great minds... I felt the same way obviously. Perfect review.

~Tina~ Thanks hun:) I know, if only for that ending=(

♥Rachel♥ I'm waiting until we know there's going to be a sequel! Great review Tina! :)

~Tina~ LOL Rachel! Good plan:)

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Oh boy. I want to read this one but I don't think I can hang with the ending with out knowing there is a part two. I read If I Stay and that killed me!!!!

~Tina~ I think it was just me lol I have a thing with not knowing for sure what will happen next. I think you'd like this one:)

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Nope it's not just you lol. I need to know there Is happy ever after or just some form of happy lol. :)