Amy's Reviews > Nemesis

Nemesis by Jo Nesbø

Jan 11, 2012

bookshelves: borrowed, bookcrossing, translated-mystery, nordic-noir
Recommended to Amy by: Anna
Read from January 28 to February 05, 2012

Nicely handled continuation of the story started in Red Breast, interjecting new crimes to solve and mysteries to unravel along the way. It took me an exceptionally long time to read this, though I'm not exactly sure why. I liked the writing, and the plot arcs which led Harry Hole on a convoluted path to sorting our wrong-doers. I have the next translated in the Oslo Triology (The Devil's Star) though I believe there was is actually another book between the two in the original Norwegian, and will get to it shortly.

Am recounting below, some extraneous remarks that formed status updates for this book.
When my husband was reading the book, he was delighted to find that Nesbø has put more exacting details about the coffee making into the story. (ie last book, they made coffee with some beans freshly ground; this book tells the type of grinder -- Rancilio, which for coffee geeks is a true thumbs up.)

Then, later, he turned to me and asked the name of the other Nordic author I'd just finished reading.

"James Thompson" I replied.

Easter egg!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nemesis.

01/28/2012 page 0
0.0% "I've not read the one before this, but my husband is currently reading it. Day one, he was delighted to find that Nesbø has put more exacting details about the coffee making into the story. (ie last book, they made coffee with some beans freshly ground; this book tells the type of grinder -- Rancilio, which for coffee geeks is a true thumbs up.)"
01/28/2012 page 14
3.0% "Hit the Rancilio passage! Horray! And I'm so chuffed that Ellen's picture is there."
01/31/2012 page 139
29.0% "When my husband was reading this, and I had just finished reading James M Thompson's Lucifer's Tears, he asked the name of the other Nordic author I'd just finished reading. "James Thompson" I replied. "Ha! Thought so! One of the characters in this book is reading a book by Jim Thompson." Easter egg! I found it in last night's reading on page 118."
02/03/2012 page 235
49.0% "I'm actually further along than this, but am too lazy to get up and get the book to check the page."

message 1: by Kirsti (new)

Kirsti So did she mean James Thompson or the American writer Jim Thompson? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thom...

message 2: by Amy (last edited Jan 13, 2012 04:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Don't know who the author meant, but he and I suspect the author meant this James Thompson, who is an American living in Finland and has a great series about a Finnish police inspector:

I've just finished reading two of his books in my hunger for Norse writers.

Anna Kirsti wrote: "So did she mean James Thompson or the American writer Jim Thompson? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thom..."

The Kentucky-born but now definitely Finnish author James Thompson (the one who writes the Kari Vaara books) is in Finland sold as Jim Thompson. So that guy :)

Anna And by the way, after The Devil's Star, and before The Snowman, there's The Redeemer. I've got a copy of that (but not of The Leopard yet). So after reading it soon (on my tbr) I guess you might want to read that one as well? :)

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Sure, send it along. Alan's reading The Snowman now. I have The Devil's Star and The Snowman to read, plus will be getting Helsinki White from LibraryThing soon, which we can send to you after reading, if you wish.

Anna Perfect :) Helsinki White will be fun