Jennifer's Reviews > Darkness Before Dawn

Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London

Oct 04, 12

Read on September 23, 2012

I'm going to start right off with the world building because it was very well done and important to all other aspects of the story. There was a huge war with humans and vampires which left the world devastated. Vampires won as I guess would be expected so the VampHu treaty was put in place. The cities are all surrounded by huge walls. Vamps on the outside, humans on the inside. Technology has been destroyed. Little communication and travel between the cities. There is one train that goes through and it is like a huge event when it comes to town. Any human outside the wall can basically be killed as can any vampire found inside the wall. Humans must donate blood but now that time has passed since the war humans are less afraid and growing more angry. They are donating less which is causing hunger and more vamps to enter cities to find blood.

Dawn is the delegate, her parents were murdered so she is taking over, and it is her job to talk to the vamp overlord and to create peace. It is basically a pointless job because Lord Valentine will take absolutely no responsibility for anything. He demands but gives nothing in return. But then enter his son Victor. Vamps can reproduce and also be turned. Victor is unlike any vampire Dawn has ever met. Incredibly sweet and caring towards humans and vampires. He shows her that not all vampires are evil which is her belief after having her parents and brother brutally murdered by vamps. Her brother's story was incredibly heartbreaking. Victor did grow on me and I respected that he was trying to make a difference but I didn't really see him and Dawn having much more in common. Plus he is 400 years old and she is 17! That is just a bit of a big/gross age difference! Plus she has a wonderful human boyfriend!

Dawn meets with Victor in secret which puts on a strain on her relationship with Michael. I loved Michael! He was friends with Dawn all her life and really understands her. He is training to be a night watchman and would willingly throw down his life to protect Dawn. Dawn keeping secrets about her new life I think confused Michael. She should have let him in on what she learned and how her thinking towards vampires changed. Michael shows a couple instances of being a jerk but it could have been prevented with some honestly. I forgive him though. Dawn has specifically stated she doesn't want to be turned so I think Michael is the better choice for her but as always I have a feeling I won't get what I want. Then again the only quote I highlighted was from Victor so I admit I eventually grew a soft spot for him. Damn love triangles!

Victor would make a great leader but Lord Valentine will not easily step down. Lots of changes need to be made but if Lord Valentine stays in charge humans and vamps will continue to suffer. It ends with a huge cliffhanger but there was a preview of the next book that cleared it right up. I guess they knew it was cruel so they threw in the preview?! I love vampires and haven't read a good vamp book since The Immortal Rules so I was so excited for this and happy it didn't disappoint. With a great romance(s), action, mystery, twists, and world building I am eagerly awaiting Blood-Kissed Sky. It's due out in December so hopefully I can hold out until then!

"I like you, Dawn. I've seen a lot of humans, from far away and up close, I've never met one like you. I think you're the closest thing to a sunrise I'll ever see."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Before Dawn.

09/23/2012
65.0% "Loving this! But as much as I like Victor I don't like the whole romance with him and Dawn. I mean he is 400! And Michael is wonderful!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lalaine *myficbookreviews* soo true! i enjoyed this book so.much. hope u enjoy too.

Becky I have a this book but I haven't read it yet. I hope I like it too. :)

Jennifer It was great! I read it in one day! LOVED IT!!! I love Michael and Victor is cool too.

message 4: by manda-rae (new) - added it

manda-rae Hmm, I guess I need to add this to my to-read list now.

Lily Reading this review has made me make up my mind!!! If I am not done with Destined by tomorrow I am picking this up and reading it this weekend. Awesome review. Can't wait to read it. :)