Michael's Reviews > The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

May 20, 2009

bookshelves: slipstream, japan
Read in May, 2009

I don't have the faintest idea how to review this book properly, a fact that will surely deny me points on GR. Inevitably, I want to compare it to Kafka on the Shore, which I found more affecting but equally well-written. The story is, or should have been, one great cathartic journey; the ending was not what I expected or was looking for, though. Murakami is a wonderful storyteller, and every page is rich with theme, subtheme, and depth. He is often accused of being too sentimental, but I don't find that to be a detriment when so many other books are completely removed from emotion.

The most appropriate thing I can say about TWUBC is this: what you think and feel going in will completely change when you come out on the other side. All of his work has that transformative effect for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-5 of 5) </span> <span class="smallText">(5 new)</span>

Jenifer I've been trying to "let things settle" from that book for years. Still hasn't happened - this book has stuck with me for a long time and I'm still digesting. One of the best books I've ever read.

message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I thought I already had this on my to-read shelf, but evidently not. Your review is enough to push it from my subconscious to read shelf on to my virtual to read shelf. Maybe even one day I will really read it! :)

This same type of thing happens to me with books, but evenmoreso (well, it should be one word, really!) with movies...I will scrunch my nose up at a movie's ending and think to myself, "that one didn't really do it for me" and then, two days later realize that I have been thinking about the movie's themes, etc. since the thing ended. The Color of Paradise was one of those movies. So was The Myth of Fingerprints...I am still trying to figure that one out.

Michael To be a little more precise about the ending (without giving the plot away) I wanted the protagonist to make a different, healthier decision. Perhaps it's my own life experience influencing my opinion...

message 4: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Probably all those different healthy life choices you make:)

Eat your veggies,

jen

Jeff Beautifully stated review, Michael, and I agree with you completely!