Rita's Reviews > The Monsters of Templeton

Jul 23, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: didn-t-finish, hated
Read in July, 2008

I started this book twice and just couldn't get into it either time. The first time was ON vacation and I figured there was just so much going on in my real life that I couldn't be sucked into the plot of this book.

The second time was right after I finished reading The Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which isn't really fair because anything would pale in comparison to that.

But, while Oscar Wao was a book about tragic characters chained to their ancestral past, which branched out in snarly directions both bizarre and repeating, it had humor and it broke rules with language and style that no other book ever has. It had a narrative voice unique to itself (and then the "omniscient third person narrator" stepped out from behind the curtain and revealed himself as a true character in the book, eliciting just one more, "Whoooa, Dude! Cool trick!" from its collective readership.).

Monsters of Templeton seemed to be about tragic characters chained to their ancestral past, which branched out in snarly directions both bizarre and repeating, and it was ordinary in the telling, a predictable narrator, doing nothing more than moving the plot along. Humor was thin and token and of the "madcap" variety. Nothing that actually knocked the wind out of you.

It was just blah. It was my hometown lake after seeing the Pacific Ocean. It was, "Yeah, OK, what else have you got?" Frankly, I just don't have time for that. Moving on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monsters of Templeton.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Betty Ha! I stopped reading this book because I started the Wondrous Life!

Jennifer This is so odd - I stopped reading this book to read Oscar Wao too! It's an epidemic. I did finish this after finishing O.W., but I'd already decided that Templeton was only so-so.

message 1: by Rita (new) - rated it 1 star