Lauren Alparaz's Reviews > Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

F_50x66
Jan 10, 12

I chose this book because critics like the New York Times called this book a classic, a must read, and one of my goals over winter break was to read a classic book. "Flowers for Algernon" is about a mentally retarded man named Charlie Gordon who undergoes a surgery making him incredibly intelligent, but over time he goes back to being mentally retarded. My favorite quote was, "Alice knows everything about me now, and accepts the fact that we can only be together for a short while. She has agreed to go away when I tell her to go. It's painful to think about that, but what we have, I suspect, is more than most people find in a lifetime." I chose this quote because throughout the entire book, I was waiting on that relationship to bloom. Charlie had mental restrictions that had strained parts of their relationship, but this was the moment after that he overcame them. Something unique about the author's style was how Charlie wrote his progress reports in the beginning of the book compared to the end. The first sentence of his first progress report was, "Dr Strauss says I shoud rite down what I think and remembir and evrey thing that happins to me from now on." This looks completely different from his progress written in the middle of the book, which was when he could speak different languages and thought that top university professors were mediocre. I thought that the way he transitioned Charlie from mental retard to total genius back to mental retard was really fascinating. I would recommend this book literally to anyone, this book has lived up to it's hype. It is definitely a classic, a must read, and one of the best novels I've read in a long time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers for Algernon.