Kurt's Reviews > The Walking Drum

The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour

Jan 17, 2012

Read from January 10 to 17, 2012

Not my usual choice of fiction, by any means -- and, yes, strange that my first Louis L'Amour novel is about a 12th century Celt searching for his father in Muslim Spain.

This is a "rollicking" adventure tale that takes the reader through myriad historic regions, cities, and strongholds that were central to the greatest cultural developments of the time period -- Cordoba, Paris, Kiev, and Constantinople, to name a few. Along the way, Mathurin Kerbouchard wins over his acquaintances with his awesome bravery, ingenious ploys, zeal for languages and scholarship, and devastating good looks. Yep, call him Hero Guy. But, hey, this is a page turner, meant for a young reader's back pocket, so it's all fine and dandy. The prose is direct and descriptive, and, really, the plot is everything. I admire writers like LL -- he sets up some incredible battle scenes, and provides enough witty exchanges of dialogue between the good guys and the baddies to fill a moon crater. Finally, the author is himself an apt student of early medieval history, and his own enthusiasm for the people and cultures of a thousand years past seeps smoothly into his audience.

Cool story. Once again, I've been busy on the Web checking out some of the locations and personalities to which he exposed me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Drum.