Meagan's Reviews > Loud in the House of Myself: Memoir of a Strange Girl

Loud in the House of Myself by Stacy Pershall

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: mental-illness, memoir, bullying
Read from April 04 to 10, 2012

I want to say that I enjoyed this, but there was so much that felt like it was missing, and so much more that this could have been. There is a reason that I read memoirs about mentally ill women -- to give me a deeper understanding of myself, or other mentally ill women, and how the world relates to us. While LITHOM gave us bits and pieces, this could have used more "after" perspective.

The epilogue of this book is what could have serves as another 100-or-so pages on things I, personally, wanted to know more about. I wanted to know more about her experiences in DBT, in her tattooing, this new life where she learned how to manage, how to cope, and live. There's so much of a focus on how 'quirky' and 'weird' she was at times as a child, and while I understand that's a link to the early stages of the development of her illnesses, I'm dissatisfied at how in-depth she went into it.

I understand why her recollection of her manic stages and some of the timeline warp issues came out -- but that's not really what I'm confused about. Those are given as much detail as she can manage comfortably, and that's cool.

I just would have liked this to be thicker, and packed with more experience and knowledge.

Side note, I could have really done without the "if you have borderline personality disorder, you ______" "anorexics ___________" mostly because girl, you aren't speaking for all of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loud in the House of Myself.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stacy Pershall Hey Megan! You are absolutely right. I don't speak for everyone, nor do I have any delusions that I do. I hope you'll write your own truth and do whatever you have to do to get it out into the world. The more of us who tell our stories, the better! Like I said in the epilogue, YOU, SPEAK. Your voice is important!