Holly Olsen's Reviews > Island of the Blue Dolphins

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Jan 10, 12

Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** When you first hear the title "Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell, you think "this will be an easy, short book to read, but by the middle of the book you start to get involved. It’s just like judging a book by its cover. Island of the Blue Dolphins turns out to be one of my favorite books. The main character in this book is a young girl named Karana. She faces many challenges and has to adapt to a sudden change. After reading about Karana’s quick change from loved to lonely, I thought the theme was always be prepared for the future. In this book you could find many themes that would fit really well with the book.
Island of the Blue Dolphins is about a girl named Karana who lives on an Island with her tribe and family. One day her tribe is leaving and she sees her brother at the shore all alone so she swims back to the island but the boat leaves. Karana and her brother are the only ones on the island when just a little while after the boat left, her brother dies. She remains on the island surviving but breaking tribe beliefs to defend her from wild dogs and other creatures. On the Island her enemy wild dog becomes one of her greatest friends. She goes through many challenges until the end of the book when she gets rescued by a boat that takes her and Rontu-Aru off the island. I loved the ending of this book.
I would really recommend this book. It wasn’t too stressful but actually really enjoyable. I think all readers would like this book because it has a very unique plot. The only thing that could have made this book better was if it told a little bit more about the ending. I wanted to know more about Karana and her life and also about Rontu-Aru. I wish they added more but overall this book was awesome. The author could have had many messages but the one I mostly thought of was always be prepared for the future. Anyone who reads this book will enjoy it and learn from it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island of the Blue Dolphins.