Katinki's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: everyone-should-read-this
Read from January 13 to 16, 2012

Were there half stars on GR, this would really get a 4.5 from me... or 4.75, if there were quarter stars. But since not, I tend to round up... so we'll call this a 5.

I need to preface this review by quickly explaining a little about myself and how I read.

1. The other night I had a brief conversation with another GR member. She made a good point: most readers tend to fall into one of two categories - someone who prefers character driven stories or someone who prefers "world building". I think, in general, we all like some of each, but I agree that in all likelihood, there's probably a preference. My preference is world building.

2. I rarely insert myself into books. I don't "become" characters. Instead, I read much like one would watch a movie. I'm an observer, a director, and I'm someone who likes to imagine what happens to characters off the page. Also, I'm a sensory person. I like to "see" what's going on. I like to smell things, hear things, touch things.

That being said... this book was like crack cocaine for me

- I have no idea what genre this book falls under. If it's YA, I will have to say that it's probably the most beautifully and best written YA book I've ever read. It's head and shoulders above the rest, at least in terms of writing. Since I'm a "movie watcher" style of reader, the language in a book *is* my narrator. I hear the words out loud almost. And the language in this book is spellbinding, ethereal almost. It's fluid and graceful, and it's a pure auditory pleasure. I had a big fat smile on my face all the way through just from the language alone.

- This isn't a big action packed novel. It's not filled with explosions and "big" action or scenes. The plot is more subtle. It's subdued, and if you aren't careful in your reading, you might not even recognize the climax when you read it. This isn't for someone who needs high action. This is for someone who wants to get lost in the world and in the story telling.

- The same holds true for the characters. They aren't "big" or "over the top". Yet, at least for me, they were still memorable and well done. The story is primarily written in 3rd, so don't expect to get deep inside any of the characters. There's a certain distance (which I like). The circus is just... incredibly well done. I'm saying this here rather than in a separate bullet because in my eyes, it's a life and "character" of its own. It's beautiful and surreal, and for me, the best part of this book.

- There is ONE thing that prevents me from giving this book its rightful 5 stars. And oddly enough, I expected this going in since I'd been warned ahead of time. And sure enough, the warning was valid for me. I despise 2nd person POV. Absolutely despise it. I hate narration swapping in general (i.e. 1st to 3rd as you see in some books), but make one of those narrations 2nd and I want to throw the book. There are 2nd person segments interspersed throughout this story. I forced myself to read them and I tried very hard to be objective. But alas, no. I hated them. If I could rip those out, this book would be near perfect.

All in all, easily one of the best books I've read in a while. :)

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

TM_Smith So the snippets of you being part of the story didn't fly... ah, well. :) I'm glad you loved it otherwise. This book is simply wonderful.

Katinki TM_Smith wrote: "So the snippets of you being part of the story didn't fly... ah, well. :) I'm glad you loved it otherwise. This book is simply wonderful."

Let's put it this way... it was good enough that I still gave it 4.75 stars, despite the wretched 2nd person POV.

Kassiah I'm so glad that you loved this. The 2nd person POV didn't drive me nuts, but I was distracted by trying to figure out how *I* fit into the story. ♥

Katinki Kassiah wrote: "I'm so glad that you loved this. The 2nd person POV didn't drive me nuts, but I was distracted by trying to figure out how *I* fit into the story. ♥"

oh yes. i really loved it. it was absolutely spellbinding. i wanna read it again!

Detroitangel Your review has inspired me to pick this up and try it again. Perhaps I'll wait until I can sit down and bundle up,so I can get lost in this magical world full of non-magic.