J's Reviews > Being George Washington

Being George Washington by Glenn Beck

3191101
Jan 10, 12

Each of Glenn Beck's books are so different, it is hard to believe a same man wrote them. Maybe he relies on ghost writers?

The language was unsophisticated in a bad way - grammatically correct perhaps, but awkward. I also find it off-putting when biographers use the first person to insert their own beliefs, opinions and interpretations into a work supposedly about someone else. Beck does this constantly throughout the book. Apparently, this book is "teaching" us how to be like George Washington - with heavy-handed interpretations by Beck. We never got to be immersed in the life and time of George Washington, which I was expecting. I thought this was a non-fiction biography, so perhaps my expectations were just off.

I did appreciate the mention of Baron von Steuben. He's one of my favorite Revolutionary War heros! I also found the section on Benedict Arnold interesting. I didn't really know much about him - his patriotic background was a surprise to me. I guess that is why is betrayal was so devastating.

I don't disagree with much of Beck's interpretations, but the heavy-handed, unsophisticated writing was a major turn off. I kind of resented it and I already agreed with him. I can't imagine what a liberal would think. I wanted to be able to read about Washington and form my own opinions (even if led there subtly by a crafty author). Instead, you read about Washington and then you read Beck's first person narrative which directly tells you what to think. There was no style or redeeming value if you disagree with Beck. Don't read this book if you don't share Beck's conservative opinions. Unfortunately, you won't get anything out of it and it will reinforce negative opinions and stereotypes. It is a poor example of conservative writers.

It took a while to get through this one and I didn't really enjoy it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being George Washington.