Alex's Reviews > The Yellow Wall-Paper

The Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Jan 02, 15

bookshelves: reading-through-history, 2012, unreliable-narrators, rth-lifetime
Recommended to Alex by: crazy ladies
Recommended for: terrible husbands
Read on January 08, 2012

Got to this a little late, but I got there. I thought it was...very good? Writing style grabbed me and kept me engaged. I found the symbolism a little obvious. By comparison, Wilde was writing at the same time and I thought his way of talking about being trapped by society was subtler and weirder. But this was sharp, modern, intense writing; you could also compare it to something like Dracula (1895), which is miles behind it.

What it really should be compared to is Florence Marryat's Blood of the Vampire, which also deals with hysteria. Marryat is longer, so it has more room and it's unfair to compare them - and Yellow Wall-paper has more of an immediate punch anyway. But Marryat's subtler and sneakier.

But that last scene in Yellow Wall-paper*...(view spoiler)

* you know how much it bugs me to put a hyphen in that word? But that's how they did it back in the olden days, kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yellow Wall-Paper.

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy I read this last night because everyone else was reading it. I thought it was a lot of fun! And creepy. But well-crafted and well written.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy