Lindsay's Reviews > Immortal Beloved

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

Feb 12, 13

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, books-i-own, cover-lust
Read on July 04, 2012

This entire book...is like an onion. Difficult to get into but once you start peeling back the layers, you get to the very center of it all. I had a very strange relationship with this book. I was really excited to get this book because I loved reading Cate Tiernan's Wicca books when I was younger and I thought this would be amazing. And it was considering I read it in a day...just a different type of amazing.

Nastasya is pretty much the onion of this book. At first glance she's got no backbone and living a pretty pathetic party lifestyle. She's basically an empty shell and not exactly anyone's idea of a heroine. But then you read along, very slowly, because her progress at River's edge was a long and arduous journey.

And as an immortal, she's lived a lot of difficult lives. Reading about her past, it suddenly made sense why she had wrapped herself in the protective undesirable shell. When the shell broke, just a little, piece by piece, well...the book became very enjoyable. Because very often in books, you don't see a change as epic as the changes in Nastasya. The amazing and spectacular changes that is.

Then there's Reyn. Sexy god-like Reyn. Rawr. Despite his gorgeousness and his slightly cold demeanor, he's an onion too, that just needs a little peeling. Though it was pretty interesting - and slightly predictable - when they're histories intertwined, I'm interested in seeing where this series and relationship goes.

Of course, there were the darker characters that were interesting as well. Incy for example. Dark guy, obviously going to cause a lot of problems. But it goes deeper than that. He pretty much was obsessed with Nastasya and when she left, you saw him slowly start to fall apart, as well as the rest of her "friends." I'm wondering how they will fit in with the rest of the series, because its obvious they're going to start trouble.

Overall, I really loved this book. The character work was fantastic, the writing was stunning, the pacing was just right and I'm really looking forward to getting Darkness Falls at the library. And of course, seeing more of these beloved characters.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal Beloved.

Caitlings I approve of this book choice.

Lindsay Lol I love Cate Tiernan. Her Wicca books were pretty much my childhood :)

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Allen I loved hers about Wicca, and there was another author - her series was Circle of Three, I think. i wish I had those books when I was a teen!!!

Lindsay I've never heard about Circle of Three. What's it about?

message 5: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Allen Three teenagers who get involved with Wicca. I remember one of the girl's parents are very conservative and they send her away to a camp to get un-"brainwashed." In another book, one girl gets in trouble for wearing her pentacle to school. It didn't have much fantasy in it but it was realistic in terms of what Wicca really is.