jD's Reviews > Night Reigns

Night Reigns by Dianne Duvall

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012_4-stars, 2_kindle_own, genre_fantasy, hot-hot-hot, fantasy_urban, fantasy_romance, must-read-seq
Read in January, 2012

I went into this as a fan of the series and remain one after this installment.

There were some plot turns in this story that made me scratch my head. Yes, the heroine's backstory threw me for a loop but by then I already loved her. Had I known what she was, I don't think I would have given this one a chance. The hero, Marcus, was everything I crave in my vamps -- old, tall, brave, a little crazy, sexy, and vunderable. I was a little irked that his backstory was thrown in messy-like. I thought I had missed a book somewhere. Thank goodness, the story did not depend solely on the love story. The charcter mix reminds me of Black Dagger with the family feel of the Guardians when they were all together. There is a good suppy of sexy vamps for future books. I don't even care what order they come in. I'm just enjoying the forward movement of the story.

My only complaint is that there are quite a few threads to follow and Ms. Duvall is not a fast writer. This time I put in bookmarks so I would not feel lost in 1 or 2 years when she kicks out the next one. Don't get me wrong, the complexity is all good. I am just bad at remembering all the details and putting them in there proper perspective.

I love the fighting and level of danger that is ever present for the Guardians. I am feeling Seth and Bastian big time. The mystery of Seth had me glued from the first book but I would have never guessed what he was. Nice move Ms. Duvall! Bastian is a hot mess and I can't wait for him to get sorted out. I see a 'love doctor' in his future.

If you are a vamp fan and don't mind a story that takes liberties with it's paranormal mix, jump in. You won't regret it. This is not YA although there is not as much sex as the first one. The ending was very abrupt but there was nowhere left for the story to go. It was complete as far as the lovers were concerned. Ms. Duvall is building up to a nasty confrontation of good vs. evil with alliances that will come from many interesting directions. Oh yeah, the bad guys are very bad. Me Like!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Reigns.

Quotes jD Liked

Dianne Duvall
“Growling, Marcus put all of his strength behind his next swing, deflecting the blow meant to sever his head and snapping Roy's blade in two.

Dumb ass. That's what happened when you puchased weapons off of cable shopping networks.”
Dianne Duvall, Night Reigns