Suzanne's Reviews > My Losing Season: A Memoir

My Losing Season by Pat Conroy

F 50x66
Mar 12, 12

Read from January 10 to 27, 2012

I love Pat Conroy's writing style. So detailed, fluid, and multi-layered. I imagine it is difficult to edit his work. He certainly could say things more succintly, but you would lose the flavor of his work.

Conroy's ability to think back to the minute details of his childhood and college years is impressive. I know he was able to refer back to school papers and records, but he also seems to be able to retrieve the emotions. I don't have the skill to reach back that effectively, so I appreciate it.

But the self-deprecation started to fall flat for me. Conroy goes on and on and on about his mediocrity as an athlete and as a leader. Yet his stats and the awards he received don't support his supposed opinion of his own efforts. I understand that he is a tortured soul, but that contradiction was hard for me to follow. I wasn't sure which aspect of the writing was sincere. I also struggled with reading Conroy's father's comments to him. They were so harsh and painful. Yet the two maintained a seemingly close relationship that I found difficult to understand. I know that family is complicated, and I am happy they came to some peace, but it was still hard for me to accept all the facets of their relationship from the reader perspective.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Losing Season.