Kenn's Reviews > Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

M_50x66
Jan 10, 12

Read in December, 2011

After not learning much from Stumbling on Happiness, I expected this to be the same, but it actually had some very good points I hadn't seen before. The example that comes to mind is this: if you ask some people to evaluate a single lecture, and ask others to guess how well that lecturer will be doing in five years, the answers they give are identical. This illustrates matching of levels across different scales and ignorance of regression to the mean. There are several other important heuristics and biases explained, with good examples that actually make it believable that people think this way. (Of course, this assumes that you're "in on the joke" -- if you find yourself tempted to defend these patently incorrect reasoning methods, as apparently many of the participants in the studies mentioned in this book did, beware!)

I do not agree with the author's political conclusions, and do not agree that they are required by the evidence provided earlier in the book. But this doesn't even come up until the last few chapters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking, Fast and Slow.