Abigails's Reviews > A Duty To The Dead

A Duty To The Dead by Charles Todd

U 50x66
Jan 10, 12

Read in January, 2012

The book "A Duty to the Dead" ,by Charles Todd, is a very intriguing historical fiction book published by Harper Collins e-books. The book takes place in London, England during World War I. Many dreadful things were happening at the time.
Bess Crawford was a nurse in World War I, aboard the Brittanic. While on a journey, the ship hit a mine, making it take on water. Miss Crawford was injured during the accident and had to be nursed back to health. But, while nursng others back to health she was given a duty from a dying soldier. She must transfer a message to the soldier's family, "Tell Johnathan that I lied. I did it for Mother's sake. But it has to be set right." When the family finds no signifigance in the message, she wonders what the soldier really meant.
I thought this book was very interesting. I found the characters relateable. The book was unlike any other, it showed World War I from the point of view of a nurse rather than a soldier. This characteristic of the book made it very memorable.
"A Duty to the Dead" shows the true horrors of war through the eyes of one nursing many back to health. The book also shows how trench warfare effects the war. It completley changed my thoughts on the subject, I now know how dreadfull it really was and the vast amount of men that died.
Overall, the book was great, but I think the author should have spent less time intoducing new characters and he should have limited diolouge. I love the historical fiction genre and I definately thonk there should be more books like this. Also, this book was similar to "Come Junteenth". They may have been fighting different wars, but they showed them from a different perspective.
This book was excellent. I have learned new things about war from this book. I loved the details Charles Todd used, they created images in my head. This book was definatly worth my time. Charles Todd took a very dreadful event and showcased it brilliantly into a well-written book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Duty To The Dead.