David's Reviews > I'm Here

I'm Here by Peter H. Reynolds

M 50x66
Jan 10, 2012

bookshelves: picturebooks

I'm Here by Peter H. Reynolds is a look at the often silent world of a kid struggling to connect with his peers and speaks to the universal need to be loved and heard.

A young boy sits by himself on the playground while other children play, make noise and interact. The boy feels "they are there" and "I am here." The breeze pats his head, leaves visit, and a piece of paper lands in front of him. The boy folds it into a paper airplane and launches it, imagining himself flying into the stars. The paper airplane lands and a girl brings it back to the boy. She may be a friend. Information on the inside of the book jacket lets readers know that this book encourages others to reach out, embrace, and appreciate children in the autism spectrum, as well as anyone who is different from themselves.

This powerful, quiet, deceptively simple story will touch the emotions of many with its powerful message. It portays the loneliness and sadness of those who are different with eloquence. It is both a friendship story and a glimpse into the autistic perspective.

The illustrations are rendered in pen, ink, watercolor and some digital color. My favorite images include the two page spread with the boy covering his ears, the cover, the steps in making the paper airplane, the boy soaring above the clouds to the stars, the returning of the plane, and the final illustration.

For ages 4 to 8, friendship, disabilities, autism, realistic, emotions, self-esteem, imagination and fans of Peter H. Reynolds.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Here.