J.C.'s Reviews > Cruel...and Unusual

Cruel...and Unusual by D. Michelle Gent

Jan 10, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal
Read from January 22 to February 13, 2012 — I own a copy

Cruel…and Unusual is the second novel in Michelle’s highly acclaimed Werewolf series, following Deadlier…than the male. After reading Cruel … I’m a huge fan of Michelle’s unique, well-researched approach to her novels and action-packed writing style. I love the way her mind works!

There are many theories about the identity of Jack the Ripper, the serial murderer of Whitechapel. Myths perpetuated by the press, and the fact that he was never caught, have created huge speculation that romanticizes the mystery of the notorious killer even today. Michelle’s telling of the story in Cruel…and Unusual, is a chillingly plausible version, made even more believable by the author’s brilliant interweaving of fact and fiction.

Michelle’s characters are entirely credible, each having their own complex individuality; her location descriptions authentic, and action scenes spell-binding. I also appreciated the introduction of the Native American Indian Keme into Red’s saga, which brings an additional stimulating and intriguing perspective and depth to the intricate layers of Werewolf lore in this excellently penned book.

There is strong language throughout Cruel …, and graphic violence; thus, this is not a book for the faint-hearted, nor would I recommend it for the younger set. However, this sophisticated write would definitely appeal to more mature teens to adults, and I give it a full five stars in all categories. Michelle’s, Cruel … and Unusual, is guaranteed to thrill you— and chill you— right down to your very toes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cruel...and Unusual.