Carla Coulston's Reviews > With My Body

With My Body by Nikki Gemmell

Jan 10, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

The Bride Stripped Bare was one of my (if not THE) all-time favourite books. It was simply pitch-perfect in my opinion, and I think I've re-read it nearly 20 times. Certainly, it comes out at least once a year, maybe twice. It just really, really struck a chord with me - and I absolutely loved Gemmel's writing style. Loved everything about it, really. So it was with ridiculously high expectations I held With My Body in my trembling hands. I guess it was inevitable it wasn't going to live up to the lofty pedestal I'd put its predecessor on; having said that, I didn't mind this book. You really do have to be a fan of Nikki Gemmel's style and "voice" to appreciate this book - I am, so I was very forgiving. Even so, some of the sentence structure began to grate, even on me. Poetic started to slide into pretentious, just a bit.
I also didn't engage so much with the erotica in this novel; I'm not a 16 year old girl, after all. I wanted more writing about the protagonist as an adult - that's where the juiciness lay in the last novel for me. This novel is also deeply conventional compared to the first - *spoiler alert* - the protagonist stays with her husband, doesn't cheat on him; refuses a lesbian encounter, won't give blow jobs. What the? Nikki, don't lose your shock value, please!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With My Body.