Jennifer's Reviews > Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos

Jan 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, fantasy
Read from January 10 to 11, 2012

This was an enjoyable cross between the mythology/magic aspect of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books, the dry British-like humor of The Mysterious Benedict Society, and the genius girl quirkiness of Roald Dahl's Matilda. It lacked the ongoing action excitement of the Percy Jackson novels, at least until the climax, instead featuring clever quips. Like the Percy Jackson novels, it would be a great book for kids to read in conjunction with learning about history and myths. It was also refreshing to read a children's mystery/adventure novel featuring a quirky, witty and sassy girl protagonist.

My one qualm with the book is that everything seems too easy. It's not that Theodosia doesn't necessarily run into barriers, and it's not that everything has to be realistic (since obviously a girl who can magically sense and purge Egyptian curses isn't!), but the reader should suspend her disbelief and become immersed rather than wondering why all of the adults in Theodosia's life are so negligent, or shall we say, clueless (even though this is one of the running jokes) and why the head of an anti-chaos society that specializes in Egyptian magic so easily chooses a little girl for the most important mission of all time.

As an aside, I'm interested to see where the series goes since Theodosia and the anti-Chaos secret society are trying to prevent the Germans from starting WWI (which the Bad Guys were trying to foment using Egyptian curses). As we all know, WWI occurred, so I wonder if Theodosia and her allies will "fail" or only partially succeed so that the series ends up addressing more serious themes about Pyrrhic victories and being unable to save humankind from itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos.