Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)'s Reviews > Sinner

Sinner by Sara Douglass

Mar 01, 15

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from February 11 to 14, 2015

This book moves into the second story arc of the series. You can tell that it was originally supposed to be a trilogy - by itself, the first three books are a complete story. But, unlike some series that continue after they were supposed to stop, it doesn't feel like beating a dead horse. Like they were squeezing all the life they possibly could get out of the series. It's just a new story line! It's 40 years into the future, and it's the next generation of characters. (It's almost more of a spin-off series than part of the original series!)

All of the sons and daughters of the characters in the first story arc have grown, and it follows them. Some of the characters I loved are now dead and gone (Belial and Rivkah, for instance) due to old age. (view spoiler)Axis and Azhure are practically untouchable entities, and I'd forgotten how different I viewed them in the second story arc. They're almost cold and unfeeling - and I actually kind of started to dislike them. Their apathy for their children's troubles made me hate them a little! There was also a bit of distaste for Caelum. He's kind of an ass - I mean, I know what happened as a baby shaped him as a man, but still. He's got issues! And WolfStar. UGH.

(view spoiler)

The conflict between the SunSoar children is insane! I forgot how crazy that family was, ha. I also forgot how much of a heartless bitch RiverStar was. I wanted to punch her! Surprisingly though, Drago's story inspires sympathy, despite what he did when he was DragonStar.

Like with the first story arc, it was interesting to know all of the secrets. RiverStar going on about a special (probably SunSoar) lover. The murder. The dreams Drago and Caelum have. Knowing what they mean and what's going to happen made me nod and smile to myself!

The TimeKeeper demons are freaking creepy! That was something I didn't really look forward to reading again. They're super disturbing, and the inevitable destruction they brought sucked just as much the second time around. This story arc is very, very dark.

This review was originally posted on Novel Heartbeat. To see a breakdown of my assessment, please visit the full review here.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sinner.

02/11 marked as: currently-reading
02/12 marked as: to-read
02/13 marked as: currently-reading
02/13 page 359
62.0% "I forgot how scary the Questors were O_O"
02/14 page 420
72.0% "Wow, Axis, do you ever get tired carrying that giant ego around with you?"
02/14 marked as: read