tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Emil and the Detectives

Read in January, 2012

review of
Erich Kästner's Emil and the Detectives
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - January 10, 2012

I decided to read a representative sampling of Kästner's work once I learned that his bks had been burned by the nazis. I started w/ his novel entitled The Missing Miniature or The Adventures of A Sensitive Butcher [see my review here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13... ] & then read his poetry collection entitled Let's Face It [see my review here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13... ] & then watched the Disney movie, The Parent Trap, made from one of his kid's bks, & finished off w/ this kid's bk: Emil and the Detectives. I put this off 'til last b/c I wasn't really in any hurry to read a kid's bk.

AND, well, I enjoyed it but not like I wd've if I were 7. Give me another 30 yrs & maybe I'll be senile enuf to be in my '2nd childhood'. As it is, I've been meaning to revisit some of the works from my 1st one, like Hardy Boys bks, & this cd be the start of that.

Anyway, it was good, I liked it. Kästner managed to put some entertaining nonsense in there & a nice dream sequence & some good depictions of kids & even himself in a surprise cameo appearance & even threw in a bit of anti-commercialism at the end - wch was probably the best surprise for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emil and the Detectives.