Sean's Reviews > Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? by Max Brallier

7382093
Jan 10, 2012

it was ok

I was so excited when I found this Choose Your Own Adventure story for adults. For years I have thought it would be a good idea to expand this genre, which has traditionally been reserved for children's fiction, into stories that adults could enjoy. Needless to say I expected to have a lot of fun reading this book and I did have fun, at least initially. The story line began okay even though it did kind of seem like a cliche from a bad zombie movie, I was still willing to give the book a chance. But as every single scenario devolved into realm of immature juvenile predictability I increasingly lost patience with the story until I finally abandoned it for something more interesting. The author seems to have essentially created a Choose Your Own Adventure which would be suitable for children and made it "edgier" by adding foul language and buckets of gore. I respect Brallier for writing in what must be a difficult style but I expected more from this book. Perhaps I wanted too much, but I would have liked to see complex, well-delevoped characters and realistic scenarios to replace the cartoonish action contained in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?.