Christi's Reviews > Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter

195949
Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from January 10 to 15, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This was a book I just grabbed off the recently returned shelf at the library.

I really enjoyed this book. The "fish out of water" twist was a lot of fun. Being a native New Englander I can only imaging how foreign Vermont (and all that snow!) would feel to a Southern Belle.

The first half of the book, LeeLee is a little whiny and spoiled, but it was totally justified. She did try to keep a smile on her face and mostly complained in her own head. This was a difficult transition to move from a big city where she had tons of support and a life she knew to a small town where she had to find her own way.

I'm so happy her girlfriends surprised her with a visit to Vermont. They were the tonic she needed to move forward and create her own life. I also liked watching LeeLee make friends in Vermont. The people she meets are unlike the lifelong friends she's had but she really makes the most of these new experiences.

I didn't like how she just avoided dealing with Baker after he left. She just lets him take the girls for dinner but doesn't formalize any support or schedule? She's so eager to get back to Memphis, so why doesn't she call an attorney from home to start serving papers to him in Vermont? He's also fine with her just taking the girls back to Memphis and he'll see them for a few weeks in the summer?

I also don't understand how Baker is fine just walking away from the inn and leaving it in LeeLee's hands. Is that because it was her father's money that funded most of the move so he doesn't feel invested? He set up the cockamamie agreement where the previous owners would hold the mortgage AND run the inn that caused so much of the strife to begin with. Why didn't they get a loan from a bank? Especially if they sold their $500K house and bought the inn for $385K, there shouldn't have been a need for a mortgage.

I did guess the twist at the end of the book. It was pretty obvious that it was coming.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the sequel. Because I did like LeeLee and hope to see her grow and become a successful inn owner in her hometown.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter.