Mia's Reviews > Safe Haven

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

F_50x66
Jan 10, 12

Read on January 10, 2012

After reading The Last song by Nicholas Sparks, I had pretty high hopes that this would be another great book. For some it may be and it certainly serves to cast light on the not so often talked about horror of spousal abuse. That being said, as much as I tried to like it, I just couldn't.

The story itself was fine, but I found the characters severely lacking, which really kept me from enjoying the book. Katie was not a character I really found myself rooting for. What she went through was awful, there's no denying that, but for some reason (at least to me) she just didn't come across as likable at all... quite the opposite sometimes honestly. Alex to me was pretty much the cardboard cut out 'good guy' that you see in books, television shows and movies... He actually reminded me a bit of the father in The Last Song and even of Will from the same book. Yes, there has to be a knight in shining armor in there somewhere, but I found him about as bland as Katie. As for Kevin, as much as I think the repetition of some things served to show his obsession (and insanity?), after a while it got really old and I could have done without the constant mention of him throwing up, not to mention Vodka was mentioned so many times that I was starting to think it was another character!

All in all, definitely not a book I would reach for to re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safe Haven.