Lori's Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Ted Dekker

Jan 10, 12

Read in December, 2011

Already a Ted Dekker fan, I had heard rumors that his new series with Tosca Lee had the potential to be even better than The Circle Trilogy. I loved that series so The Books of Mortals Trilogy, beginning with Forbidden, was stepping in some big shoes. I think it filled them pretty well.

Where The Circle Trilogy took a bit to set up the story and didn't really hook me until the end of book one, this story had me from the beginning. The reader is immediately thrown into a dystopian world where emotions have been genetically identified and removed from the population. The only one that remains is fear, for fear is what is needed to control people. The citizens of the world do not even realize they are mere shadows of humanity, the living dead- for what is life without love and passion and pain?

Rom is a young man who works as a funeral singer and we quickly see that all is not right in this world, as he sings for an empty casket. When he is accosted by an old man on the way home, an old man who says he knew his father, he is suddenly thrust into a dangerous adventure that will change his world forever. Is there life to be found? What are the secrets of the Order? Could the history he had been taught be merely lies, twisting the truth to suit those in control? What are the alchemists up to in the palace dungeons? And who will show the world they are not much more than walking dead?

I loved this book and can't wait for the next in the series. The setting was compelling, the twists and turns exciting, and the theme intriguing. The combination of Dekker and Lee seems to be a good one. I have not read Lee's work (although I now want to) but she seems to be a good match for Dekker and I'm excited to see where this storyline goes. Recommended.

*Disclosure: I received an e-book copy of this through Net Galley, for review purposes. This review originally appeared on my blog.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.