Manda's Reviews > The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig

The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas

Jan 10, 12

Read in February, 2007

Normally I would never say that a children's book is awful, but in my opinion, this book is AWFUL. Yes, it warrants capitalization. I would never read it to a group of children. The story is just bad. No kid knows what a pneumatic drill is. If they didn't have the illustrations of Helen Oxenbury to look at (which is this book's only redeeming quality ... great illustrations, nice watercolor), they'd have no idea what was going on. What is with the repeated quote, "By the hair on our chinny-chin-chins, we will not let you in, not for all the tea leaves in our china teapot"? Are they offering the pig the tea leaves? That doesn't make sense. Are they expecting the pig to give them tea leaves? No, because they already have them. I don't get it. Oh, and the little wolves didn't build a house out of barbed wire, iron bars, armor plates, heavy metal padlocks, Plexiglas and reinforced steel chains, that was a prison. Why didn't the story just end there with the little wolves locking the pig up in their terrifying jailhouse? Not only is the story bad, but there are way too many words per page, which is not conducive to storytime sharing. I suppose the ending is sweet, with the pig becoming tender-hearted and friendly with the wolves, but that's not good enough to turn it around in my eyes.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig.