Chance Lee's Reviews > The Sookie Stackhouse Companion

The Sookie Stackhouse Companion by Charlaine Harris

Jan 10, 2012

Read from January 10 to 12, 2012

Most of my review score comes from the included novella, Small-Town Wedding. This story finds Sookie accompanying Sam to his hometown for his brother's wedding. This event has been mentioned in both Dead and Gone and Dead in the Family, so it's nice to finally see it happen. The story also closes up a few loose ends that have been dangling from Living Dead in Dallas, including the return of two characters from that book, plus a couple others.

Overall this is a great story. It doesn't suffer from the unfocused rambling that plagued the two books mentioned above. It really explores Sookie and Sam's relationship, something that often gets pushed to the side. I always want Sam to be more of a major character in the books because I feel he is the best match for Sookie.

I like when Sookie goes traveling in the books, because you get the sense of exploration that you don't get in Bon Temps. Even just exploring a podunk, no-Wal-Mart town like Wright, TX. The consequences of the Weres' coming out also gets explored more than it has been in the full-length books. The added length keeps Small-Town Wedding from feeling half-baked like a lot of the short stories.

As Sookie evolves I like her more. She wants to hurt those who have hurt her, and I think that's an interesting progression for the character. It's fun to watch her grow and change.

The rest of the book is cool too. It has a map of Bon Temps. How can you not like a map? It has recaps of all the books. These are great because there are so many small plot points that are easy to forget. There are also bonus behind-the-scenes conversations between Bill and Eric. The recipes seem bland, but who cares. The interviews are not too in-depth, but oh well. The quizzes are great fun, really plucking out some strange and obscure humorous details in the books. I also like the character index, because with all the bland two-dimensional characters running around Bon Temps and its environs, it's easy to figure out who's who.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sookie Stackhouse Companion.