Kim's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jan 10, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, mystery, read-aloud-with-matt
Recommended for: anyone who likes a good mystery/ ghost story
Read on August 01, 2011

The Shadow of the Wind is set in Barcelona after the Spanish Civil War. The plot circulates around a fictional book of the same title that pulls the main character into the mystery of its dead author and his disappearing works. The book is a a love story, a mystery, a coming of age story and a political thriller.

It's really a wonderful book. Barcelona and Catalonia are characters in this novel, written as tense post-war, transitional figures, unsure what is next. The main character, Daniel, reflects this mood, but as a younger version, a child of war, with vague recollections but little understanding. He inserts himself into peoples lives and dramas without thought to consequence.

My partner and I read this book together, and the conclusion was so dramatic and gripping that I was actually shouting as I read it.

I highly recommend this book. The cast of characters is excellent and the story is engaging and beautifully written start to finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.