Bekah's Reviews > Rainshadow Road

Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

Feb 02, 13

bookshelves: read-own, 2012-reads, lisa-s-divas
Read from January 06 to 10, 2012

I find it fascinating that Lisa Kleypas has finally written a book about magic, when that is exactly what her writing is; pure unadulterated magic. I didn’t want it to end!

In Rainshadow Road, Lisa takes us back to the beautiful Friday Harbor, which I guarantee you will want to visit when you begin reading this series. We meet Lucy Marinn a glass artist who has a magical gift and connection with her glass. She is getting dumped by her live in boyfriend of two years. He’s leaving her for her little sister, Alice. Oh, and could she please hurry and move out so that Alice can move in? So begins Lucy’s story. Shortly after her breakup she meets Sam Nolan, a local winemaker with major commitment issues. They begin an affair with the explicit agreement that no promises be made save that when it’s over, it’s over. Definitely no falling in love.

One of the most beautiful things about Rainshadow Road is the growth that happens particularly for Lucy, and Sam as well. In the beginning of the book, she is someone who things just happen to, but by the end of the book we see her reaching out for opportunities, shaping her own life, deciding her destiny. Her relationship with Sam is a big step in that direction. I really loved the places in the novel when Lucy seeks to reassure Sam that the relationship is not serious by telling him “I don’t love you.” It was so cute, and funny but profound at the same time. Accepting him and the relationship for what it is, not changing him, living her own life…it’s what brings her the ultimate peace and happiness in the end. I love that she finally gets it; what happiness is, and how to attain it. After everything she’s been through, as a reader you really triumph with her in attaining true happiness. The symbolism of Lucy’s magic is truly beautiful as well. In moments of deep emotion, glass around Lucy is manifest into animals. I loved how Lisa used these moments to bring a richer and deeper element to the book. It was just beautiful.

Sam too, was a wonderful, complex, and interesting character. His transformation was heart wrenching to read. His childhood so devoid of genuine love, stability and protection, he had to create ways to protect himself as an adult. A perpetual bachelor, a love ‘em and leave ‘em man. He never stayed the night with a woman; actually sleeping with a woman is too vulnerable an act to share. But with Lucy, his attraction and fascination could not be denied.

As he looked down into her small, sensitive face, it occurred to him that this was something new in his experience…an attraction that seemed to gather momentum from the weight of each second he spent with her.

With his fascination growing, love was not far behind and he couldn’t deny it anymore. The ways in which he changed made him an even better man. Love really was the key to opening his jail cell. Love with Lucy was his leap of faith and it brought him rewards beyond words. Oh how the mighty, they fall:

“I love you,” Sam said, and set his mouth against hers, and broke off the kiss because he had to say it again. “I love you.”
Lucy’s trembling fingers came to his lips, caressing them gently. “Are you sure? How do you know it’s not just about sex?”

“It is about sex…sex with your mind, sex with your soul, sex with the color of your eyes, the smell of your skin. I want to sleep in your bed. I want to be the first thing I see every morning and the last thing I see at night. I love you the way I never thought I could love anyone.”

Raindshadow Road is another solid, achingly sweet romantic book by Lisa Kleypas that will without a doubt make you laugh, cry in a few spots, and have you clutching it to your chest in complete contentment!

Find my reviews at page 317.

***I am one of Lisa's Divas and receive benefits such as this ARC to read along with swag.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainshadow Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annie I can't wait to read this book.

Bekah I know you will love it!

Amar Well said, as always, Bekah!

Bekah Thank you Amar!