Shawna LeAnn's Reviews > Exiled

5320190
Jan 10, 2012

Read from January 12 to 15, 2012

The full review can be found on my blog: Dreaming In The Pages

Holy goddess! Talked about a freaking thrill ride!! This fantastic debut novel from M.R. Merrick does much more than just provide an afternoon of reading, it provides a nights worth of action and adventure that you just can not pull yourself away from. Right from the start Merrick doesn't waste any time letting you get a taste of his own paranormal world full of demons, vampires, warlocks and witches the likes of which you have never seen. You won't want to put this one down once you pick it up people, so be ready for a late night and get ready to have some amazing characters attach themselves to your heart.

First off, I would like to say that Merrick has quite a way with words. Everything in this book flowed from one scene to the next with the most amazing detail I felt like it was literally in my living room. It still amazes me how people can write about the same thing as so many others have before them and manage to make it completely their own, and so freaking wonderful. The one thing that I loved the most with this book was the characters that Merrick filled it with. From Chase, the fiery exile who is just trying to find his way to Rayna, the half-breed that manages to keep a mysterious cloud over herself the whole book. Oh and you can not forget about Willy!! He holds a special place in my heart, and I am sure you will fall for him too. I mean how could you not?!

Not only did I love how this story was told in Chases POV [I mean really, you don't get many male main characters in YA do you?!] but I loved how Chases and Raynas relationship was. There was little to no romance in this book but I felt [maybe it is me wishing] that it could lead there. So this book was a great way to build up trust between each other which was done incredibly well. The banter between these two had me cracking up, and seeing them battle together was even better. The drew strength from each other and have this weird bond that I fell in love with. I can not wait to see what Merrick has in store for these two in book number two of this series.

I know this review is a bit vague, but people, this is one of those books you have to read and discover for yourself to get the full experience. I mean, I went into this book seeing all the 5 star reviews and knew there was something amazing buried in the pages but nothing compares to actually reading it. The ending had me tearing up and wondering how the heck there were no more pages for me to flip. To say that I am eagerly awaiting book two is a grave understatement. Oh, and once you buy it, be careful. You may get whiplash from all the action this books brings you. You have been warned.

Rating:
★★★★½
Four and a half Stars
[Kick, Pow, Bam!]

*Thank you to M.R. Merrick for providing me with a copy to review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exiled.

01/14/2012
45.0% "I freaking love Rayna [:"