Johaleesi (formerly JJiReads)'s Reviews > Brightest Kind of Darkness

2095735
Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: genre-paranormal, genre-ya
Read from March 27 to April 06, 2012

Can you imagine dreaming everything that will happen tomorrow, tonight? That is exactly what the main character, Nara, goes through on a daily basis. Part blessing and part curse, Nara gets to relive every moment of her dreams the next day. This proves to be especially helpful when it comes to those pesky pop quizes, figuring out which direction the opposite team will kick the ball, or to avoid unpleasant situations. Knowing exactly what's going to happen, Nara has become a sort of expert at avoidance, having learned her lesson early on that trying to change the outcome of her dreams, can have not so pleasant consequences.

One night Nara dreams of a bomb going off in her school, hidden in a locker and placed there by a disgruntled classmate. Unable to just let it be, Nara calls the cops and anonymously reports a bomb threat and thus saving many of her classmates' lives. Because of the gravity of the situation, Nara broke her own rule not messing with Fate. Problem is that since stopping the bomb incident, Nara notices that many of her classmates that would have gotten hurt had the bomb gone off, are still getting hurt in other ways. Almost as if Fate is trying to even the score. Nara continues to intervene and stop Fate from hurting her friends, but she quickly discovers she is way in over her head.

One of these classmates she saves is the mysterious Ethan. Nara and Ethan become very close, and feelings as more than friends develop between these two. I felt that the romance bloomed at just the right speed. Not too fast, not too slow. Ethan is the kid with the bad rep at school because he got into fights in his last school and ran into trouble with the police, yet Nara feels that there's something special about Ethan and she wants to give him the benefit of the doubt. I loved the way these two characters fed off each other, each giving the other the strength the other one lacks. You see, Ethan has a special ability of his own, that changes the way Nara's own ability works. The combination of these supernatural elements, together with the "Final Destination"-like plot made for a read I wanted to do in just one sitting, because I just had to know what was going to happen next. The similarities of this book to the "Final Destination" movies definitely didn't take away from the originality of its characters or the story as a whole. I give this book 4 stars. Highly entertaining to those of those who enjoy the paranormal with a good amount of romance mixed in.

(Originally reviewed at JJiReads.blogspot.com)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brightest Kind of Darkness.

03/31/2012
75.0% "I'm really loving this book. Reminds me of the Final Destination movies :O"
show 1 hidden update…