Brian's Reviews > A People's History of the United States

M_50x66
Mar 03, 14

bookshelves: favorite-non-fiction
Read in January, 2007

Nobody likes to look in the mirror and see a big zit. Zinn makes us do so and a lot of people don't like that (it's not polite to point out zits). America has seen itself as perfect for a long time and we are taught that all the way from grade school through college (and every day on Fox News). People say Zinn blames America for everything. Honestly the bull shit has been so steeped the other way for so long, it forced his hand to go over the top in pointing our our flaws. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but without making people take a look at the horrors committed, the overwhelming ideology of America right or wrong will continue. Howard loves America and hates what our government has done in our name, from the beginning to the present.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A People's History of the United States.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (new) - added it

Sylvia I don't understand your math. When you break it down, there is nothing higher than 3 stars, but then you rate the whole book 5 stars. Is that A for effort? I must admit though I am terrible at math.

Brian Sylvia wrote: "I don't understand your math. When you break it down, there is nothing higher than 3 stars, but then you rate the whole book 5 stars. Is that A for effort? I must admit though I am terrible at math."

Fixed! That didn't make much sense at all, so I just took it out :)

message 3: by Sylvia (new) - added it