Sherwood Smith's Reviews > Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon

162084
Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: fantasy

I am halfway through, after having worked at this for several days, and it's always easy to put down. In part, because I know the fairy tale, and so far there is no clever twist on the horizon.

I don't know if I will finish this book. I really wish I was ten, then I wouldn't notice the rather slapdash worldbuilding, and I would not be wincing about the mother's death (after bearing twelve girls in a row, gee, I wonder why the poor woman is exhausted and in pain!). If I were ten, I would adore this book, as I loved family stories, and I would have enjoyed the sprightly voice. I would not have noticed how willfully stupid the heroine acts.

If anyone reading this speaks up and points out that the second half is a vast improvement, I will keep on, otherwise, on to Merrie Haskell's The Princess Curse, which in the first few pages also has a sprightly voice, with a great deal of substance and an intriguingly convincing world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosamund (new)

Rosamund Hodge Personally I loved this book, but if you didn't like the first half, I'm not sure the second would do anything for you. There isn't a sudden clever twist or anything; for me it just felt like an old favorite comfort-read the first time I tried it.

message 2: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin I felt the same way about this one, but a number of people whose reviews I usually agree with really liked it...I think for me the issue might be that I haven't come across any retellings of this tale that equal/surpass Juliet Marillier's.

message 3: by Estara (new)

Estara Looking forward to hearing what you think of The Princess Curse as it will influence when I move it from my TBR pile to my currently-reading one ^^

Minli I bounced off this book really hard. In fact, I can't believe I finished at it--all the sisters blended together, it felt like there were twelve just because the fairytale said twelve. But I loved the idea of the 'entwine' dance (actually it reminded me a little of the dance Bran and Nee do in Court Duel); it's a shame it never went anywhere.

message 5: by Sherwood (new) - added it

Sherwood Smith rhinemouse wrote: "Personally I loved this book, but if you didn't like the first half, I'm not sure the second would do anything for you. There isn't a sudden clever twist or anything; for me it just felt like an ol..."

It might be I'm just too old. :-(

message 6: by Sherwood (new) - added it

Sherwood Smith Erin wrote: "I felt the same way about this one, but a number of people whose reviews I usually agree with really liked it...I think for me the issue might be that I haven't come across any retellings of this t..."

Juliet Marillier's is a very hard act to follow, indeed. But I could stick with it if the sisters had any personality (other than the Crabby One, the Curious Ones, the Nice One, and . . .the interchangeable ones) or if the world didn't seem to borrow bits and bobs from Disney flicks without any attention paid to making it add to a whole. I have to repeat, at ten I would not have noticed such things, so it seems I'm just not the audience for this particular book.

Small Review I couldn't get into this one either, for similar reasons. I enjoyed Merrie Haskell's reworking a lot more.