Mimi Smith's Reviews > Lothaire

Jul 16, 14

bookshelves: pnr
Read on January 10, 2012

Lothaire and Nix(or not)

Before reading this book I was bound and determined to hold this grudge. I was thinking "Why, oh why not these two?". So, imagine my surprise when I found out:I'm not angry anymore. It's true, I actually like their relationship as it is now, of enemies/friends, considering their history. They are both old and insane and they really 'get' each other. The great Lothaire with a puny human, now that's an interesting storyline. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Lothaire, the Enemy of Old(Or as Elizabeth says it...LEO)

If anyone was worried about Lothaire becoming a patron of kittens and rainbows in this book-you shouldn't be. Cause Lothaire is an evil mastermind(that's going insane, but hey, it happens). He's arrogant, and determined and he has his Endgame all figured out. It's about revenge and power and grandness...AND SNAP-Elizabeth shows him his Endgame is not a goal, it's a process, so eventually he makes HER his Endgame instead, and Lothaire lets nothing stops him when he wants something.
There were situations when I really wanted to hit Lothaire, he was such an asshole. For real! First you treat her badly and then you demand she live and let go, you bulldoze her and her choices and you expect...thanks. Arrogance, thy name is Lothaire. But it was all settled at the end, and after all, it's how these males are, true? And next to Conrad I think he is my favorite Hero so far(disregarding his occasional bad treatment of his Bride)

Elizabeth, The Puny Human

Luckily for her, Elizabeth is not so puny. She has had her life ruined before and she's not going to let Lothaire do it again. She has an Endgame, as well. Keep Your Soul Alive, Keep Your Family Safe And Don't Fall For The Red-Eyed Vampire! Simple, yes? No, as it turns out. Still, she was about 66% successful. I think you can guess which third of the Endgame failed, lol. I liked Elizabeth. She's smart, stubborn, funny and luckily, has a thick skin. I also liked how(view spoiler). All in all, I thought her a good match for him. I liked the exchange of gifts at the ending, very macabre, but sweet(view spoiler)!

Parallels with 'Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night'

It could be just me, but I noticed, that plot-wise, or better said relationship-wise there were some parallels between the books. The confusion:"Who's your Mate?" and "Don't let her be that species, please!". Then, there is the whole: "Treat her badly and then try to make it up to her!". I don't know, I just thought it was interesting.

The next book(s)

Given the epilogue, I'm...not exactly sure what's next. There was some hinting there, but what? Whatever it is, I think we're getting very close to the Accession, so a few more books? Plus Nixie is almost ready for her HEA, I think. She is frazzled! I'm looking forward to it, in any case.

Overall impression

Awesome book, and a great installment in the series, one of my favorites, definitely. Kresley Cole has done it again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

Quotes Mimi Liked

Kresley Cole
“His debtors always assumed he'd demand their firstborn. Like I'm fucking Rumpelstiltskin? What would Lothaire do with countless squalling babes? Raise them in a kennel?”
Kresley Cole, Lothaire

Comments (showing 1-20)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 20: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly I loved you review and the book, I would have given 5 stars but for the bad treatment and how long it took him to see past his ego.

message 19: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Well, I decided to deduct a half star for the same reason. But, I guess I kind of understood it, and I found his certainty that he would never be paired up with a mere mortal amusing.That's not to say I didn't mind how he treated her, with the Hot and Cold attitude. You'd almost think he was PMS-ing or something. In the end, I figured-I like her, and I like him, and this situation isn't as extreme as the one in the previous book and he mostly talked badly and arrogantly, treating her no differently than, uh, everyone at first, and I really LOVE him-ergo 4.5 stars and it's mostly forgiven.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Mimi! I'm excited to get this! Seeing as I forgot I had pre-ordered the UK paperback, and all. LOL

Oh, Conrad! I LOVE Conrad! He and Sebastian and my favourite Wroth brothers, and probably my favourite heroes, in the series.

Oh, Nixie. I adore nucking futs Nix! ^_^

I'm a little afraid of how I'll feel of this since you mention similar parallels to Bowen's book! I had some issues with Bowen! LOL I know lots of people love him, but I had issues with him, even though his was the first IAD book I picked up and which actually got me interested in the series. ^_^ We'll see, we'll see, with Lothaire, then... He did seriously intrigue me in the last book.

*rubs hands and waits for the next couple weeks for the book to arrive*

message 17: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Mimi wrote: "Well, I decided to deduct a half star for the same reason. But, I guess I kind of understood it, and I found his certainty that he would never be paired up with a mere mortal amusing.That's not to ..."

Hee..now you make we went to switch it to 4.5 stars. I loved Elizabeth, kind of the best heroine, a mere mortal bringing down Lothaire!!

message 16: by Mimi (last edited Jan 11, 2012 02:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Great review, Mimi! I'm excited to get this! Seeing as I forgot I had pre-ordered the UK paperback, and all. LOL

It was also interesting to me how much I liked this book, since i didn't like Bowen's that much, either. But I guess I found it easier to deal with Lothaire's often jerk-ish actions because they weren't born out of hatred, just arrogance and utter conviction that Fate has more planned for him than a plain human. I actually found his confusion...cute. But I still found his autocratic behaviour(regarding her life!) with Elizabeth annoying sometimes. Especially after he accepts her as his mate.

I love Nix, too!

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Well, I decided to deduct a half star for the same reason. But, I guess I kind of understood it, and I found his certainty that he would never be paired up with a mere mortal amusing.T..."

Lol, I really loved that Elizabeth was human, too. I liked her a lot for her down and dirty southern attitude. She is as Lothaire says it a "Peasant", and yet he still loves her. Awwww, so sweet, yes? Plus I loved the scene at the end where she makes him think they'll have to live in the trailer. His panic-So Bloody Funny!!!
Hmm, now that I think about it, she is one of my most favorite heroines in the series.

message 14: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Love the review! :-)

message 13: by Mimi (last edited Jan 11, 2012 03:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Ana wrote: "Love the review! :-)"

Thanks! I saw you liked the book, too:-). It's soooo much better IMO than the last one, which I thought was kind of a mess...

How was Jennifer Ashley's book?

message 12: by Saly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Saly Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Well, I decided to deduct a half star for the same reason. But, I guess I kind of understood it, and I found his certainty that he would never be paired up with a mere mor..."

Yeah I agree. Finishing this book was such a high and that I was left with OMG it's over?It can't be especially with the last sentence of the book being such a shock.

message 11: by Mimi (last edited Jan 11, 2012 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Saly wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Well, I decided to deduct a half star for the same reason. But, I guess I kind of understood it, and I found his certainty that he would never be paired up wi..."

Yeah, but it was logical(view spoiler) Does that mean Kristoff is next? Or Nix(view spoiler)?

Auntee Fantastic review!

Mimi Smith Thanks:)! I'll have to think of perfect pics for next time. You find a Nixie;-)?

Auntee That would be hard--not yet!:)

Mimi Smith For me it's hard to even imagine her. Her personality is so distinctive, everything else pales in comparison. I truly can't wait to read her book. And Kristof's. I wouldn't mind reading anyone's book actually. I feel sad thinking IAD series will be over soon.

message 6: by Auntee (last edited Jan 16, 2012 05:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee "...it's hard to even imagine her"

Me too! And every time KC describes her (physically) I'm a little surprised.

I don't think the IAD will end soon--at least from what I've heard.

Mimi Smith Yes, but didn't she say Nixie's book will be the last, or near the last book in the series. Or was it Kristoff's? I vaguely remember something like that.

message 4: by Auntee (last edited Jan 17, 2012 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee I think it's Nix's book that will be last...

To hear it straight from KC's lips (about how many more books there will be), watch this:

Mimi Smith Hah! I loved the interview and the answer! This is great news, although I guess it means we won't get Nixie's story soon. Oh, well, I'll guess I'll have to suffer through 10 more IAD books ;-)

Auntee I'll gladly suffer through 10 more books too!

message 1: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Hi Mimi, I'm kind of following your recs and haven't missed badly yet. Good review. Do you think it's necessary to read all the books up to this one before reading this?