Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Whew! I feel like I just read about 4 different books in one with this novel. The book was very long and I have to say that I really felt its length. Unlike other lengthy books that can seem as though the pages just fly by, I found myself twitching at the pace of this book. It was too slow and drawn out for me and the pivotal, memorable scenes in it too few and far between.

It's a shame because the book features two very likeable characters, Diana and Matherw. Both are incredibly intelligent, interesting and complex. And they have a very good chemistry together as well, even if the passion side of things wan't exactly scorching, you at least truly believed they loved one another very much..

"My ideas about vampires may by romantic, but your attitudes toward women need a major overhaul."

I also felt as though the authors own studies on the history of science were well used, even if a lot of it flew right over my head. The author is clearly a very intelligent woman and has written a very intelligent novel to match. As an self-confessed action lover, however, I just found the pacing a little too slow to get as excited about it as I know some of my fellow book buddies have been. For me it was good, but nothing world-shattering.

3 Stars! ★★★

50.0% 1 comment
75.0% "Ooh an oubliette! Not seen one of those since Labyrinth!"

Liz (Bugetta) Looking forward to reading your review, Geekius!