L.E.Olteano 's Reviews > A Brush of Darkness

A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang

5203869
Jul 29, 2015

bookshelves: pub-2011-or-earlier-2012-tbr-pile, blog-review, reviewed, received-for-review
Read from February 29 to March 02, 2012

Fabulous entertainment, I had a blast reading this little darling! I'm SO Team Phin xDDD

Originally posted at Butterfly-o-Meter Books on Mar 3 2012:

Oh, yeah, baby!! That’s what I’m talking about!! This is bookish luff material right here, for all the adult PNR lovers out there, if you haven’t read this awesomeness right here, you simply must. Fangirling much? Oh yeah, a lot!! Ooomg, I’m so pumped to read book #2, and I’ll post the review a week from now as part of the book #2 tour with Bewitching Book Tours, plus a fabulous excerpt by Allison Pang herself, so you guys have something to look forward to :D

So then, the book. Yuuummm, the book!! I loved reading this like crazy. I’m not sure what it’s considered genre-wise, but to me it’s adult PNR with awesomeness to spear.
The plot was really fun, fresh and original, we’re talking about a world built beautifully, a vision as I like to call it, a world order, a new and fascinating way for our favorite paranormals to mingle. If there was anything I wasn’t necessarily a fan of, it’s the angels thing. Make them look like then but name them something else, you know, angels being romantically involved is just a bit…ugh, for me. But that aside, beautiful world.

The characters were my favorite part of the novel (as is often happens), though in this case they were a tie with the writing. But I’ll tell you about that a bit later. Right now, characters. There’s going to be the obvious fact that the main couple is a mortal (with perks, thanks to Contracts), and an incubus. I mean, seriously, how could I not be fangirling over this? Let the ‘badboy’ come to me, lol. Though Ion wasn’t a cliche demon, he was actually a very decent guy, complex and layered and beautifully intense here, vulnerable there. Beautiful, just beautiful. Abby is one of my favorite sorts of characters as well, she’s troubled, she’s struggling with things in her past, with her own ‘demons’, she’s funny and smart and resourceful and I simply loved her to bits and the bits to pieces. I really can’t imagine what couple could have been more fun to read then this one, they had it all, super chemistry, charisma sprouting out of their ears, the whole package.
One of my favs was also Phin. Admit it, you loved the pervy little munchkin too. If you read this book and you’re not Team Phin then there’s something wrong with your values, haha. Seriously awesome character.

The writing was absolutely fabulous. You don’t really hear me say that very often, because it’s sort of rare that I’m really 100% into it. I’ll go along for the ride a lot of the time, but not 100%. Well I was 100% there this time, the characters had their own distinct voices, and the best ever, ever, ever part was the humorous perspective on things. A great part of the characters had a fabulous sense of humor, and that’s what really made me fall in love with the whole thing all the way.
The tense scenes were really gripping, but they didn’t leave you with that strangled sensation because sooner rather then later you’d have some humor break, smaller or not. It’s the sort of tension that I love in these stories, the not depressing type. I was entertained and engaged like all hell, I had my phone on Silent Mode while reading, no music on (not even classical, and that’s how I read usually), the TV was hopelessly dead, I was all in and having a blast every single step of the way. This is going to be the writer I’ll run to each and every time I’ll need a pick-me-up, that’s clear.

So if you haven’t read this book yet, you simply must. We’re talking delicious entertainment here. Yummm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brush of Darkness.