Samuel's Reviews > Annals of the Former World

Annals of the Former World by John McPhee

Jul 01, 2007

Read in May, 2007

Absolutely, bar none, the finest work of American natural science that I've ever read. McPhee has the eye of a scientist and the soul of a poet, and it makes for truly astonishing writing. I don't like to pile on the superlatives, but this is probably one of my ten favorite books of all time.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annals of the Former World.

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Beek Thank you for a well written critique. I would love to know the other titles on your list. One I would share unreservedly is The Curve of Binding Energy, also by McPhee.

Tony Thom, Sam, absolutely in your camp on the review. His work has never disappointed!

His essay on writing - "Structure", that appeared in The New Yorker, is a great insight into his method and a must read for his fans.

enjoy!

Samuel Tony wrote: "Thom, Sam, absolutely in your camp on the review. His work has never disappointed!

I've never seen that essay -- I'm going to have to look it up!

Tony I tried to post the link, but it was redacted - a google search will bring it up. enjoy!