Tina's Reviews > Treading Water

Treading Water by Marie Force

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, romance-contemporary
Read in January, 2012

I liked this book quite a bit despite some the moments when I wanted smack some of the characters upside the head. Hard.

So here's the thing, Jack's wife of 20 years, Clare, gets hit by a car and goes into a coma. Everybody except Jack are basically saying "she's had it." After about year and a half, where Jack doesn't give up on his comatose wife, sits by her side everyday (luckily he's super rich so he doesn't have to work or anything) his family basically tells him he needs to start living again and take care of his three daughters who have also been completely traumatized by watching their mother get hit by a car right in front of their eyes.

So Jack rejoins the living and soon he meets the super hot Andi. They fall in love. Andi moves in with him and they begin a life together.

But what about the comatose wife, you ask? Well she's still comatose and no Jack has no intentions of divorcing her. That would be cruel.

You know, I am fine with this dilemma as a conflict in romance. Some readers (and I have heard from them) practically puked a kidney in rage at this scenario. I actually liked it. It was just thorny and angsty enough that I think it makes for great reading.

What didn't work so well, imo, were the reactions of the people surrounding the issue. Jack was blithely ok about Andi basically giving up her life to come live in his wife's house with him and his daughters. He is utterly ok with the situation. Yeah, he grieves over his comatose wife, but he makes it clear that he will never divorce her. Meanwhile Andi goes along with this. I wish, wish, wish that both of them -- Andi especially -- had struggled with this fact a lot more. I wish Andi had more misgivings about what she was getting into than she did. I wish Andi had more trepidation about what her future would bring. But they both were so blase about it.

Everyone around them seemed to just be blinded by Jack & Andi's overwhelming love, that nobody (except Andi's mother, thank God!) seemed to pay any attention to the white elephant in the room.

Until the white elephant comes out of her coma. I do have to give it up to the author, this made for great melodrama. Finally this is where Andi starts to react the way she should have been reacting all along.

But I do have to go ranty-mcrantypants on Jack right about now (view spoiler)

Still this was a page turner. But I do believe that if as a reader you don't like even the whiff of adultery or cheating in romances, stay far, far way. Your blood pressure will thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treading Water.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dawn Treading WaterI am not sure why the above review says adultery or cheating in this book. I think that Jack was put in an impossible situation. At what point in a situation such as this one, do you move on? There was no chance of her recovering per the doctor. He waited, he grieved, he did the best for his children and all their lives. I don't condone adultery but personally do not think this counts. I think this series is good and if you keep reading the next books you will fall in love with all the characters just like in all of Marie Force's books.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Blubaugh I too take issue with the reviewer for citing the hero Jack for cheating and adultery in this novel. This implies to me that Jack resumed his life immediately after the accident without regard for anyone but himself and his needs. His wife has long been in a coma with no hope of recovery according to her medical team. Would the reviewer see his actions as cheating if he and his wife were separated? Essentially, Jack and his wife are separated. He assumes the role of primary caregiver of his three daughters traumatized by the tragic event that took their mother from them. Jack doesn't abandon or institutionalize his wife; quite the opposite in that he ensures she has a home where she receives private care round the clock. To judge this fictional hero as "weak" in this fictional scenario is doing a huge disservice to those real-life people struggling as caregivers in untenable situations of their own.

Judy Boucher I loved this book and series!!!

Christi Lofton I loved this book. I thought Jack found himself in an impossible situation and did his very best to honor his wife and his vows to her. He was fortunate enough to find love a second time and still tried to honor his vows. Awesome book, awesome series and awesome author!

Andrea I guess to each his own but I love Jack. I especially love that he is a broken man who is torn between what he desires and wants to what he feels is his duty. No relationship is perfect and Jack is working so hard to make sure all of the women in his life are getting what they need, never putting what he needs first. When he does that he is then deemed a cheater & aldulterer? I guess by definition yes but what was the alternative? Divorce his comatose wife just so he wasn't labeled incorrectly? Because, then his label would be bastard and that's not any better.

I would recommend you continue with the series and see for yourself the kind of man that Jack is/becomes. The kind of man we could all hope to love us.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi Tina -

Just wanted to say thanks for the review. Very helpful. I would have issues with this kind of behavior...and I am not particularly a fan of the whole deus ex machina decision...like the wife waking up at just the MOST convenient time and granting him a divorce. So while many people seem to have come out to go "you are so wrong" I wanted you to hear another opinion!

Trina People have different opinions and that is what makes the world go around. I loved the series and that being said. I think Jack done his best that he could do. Andi is the woman that took a chance in life and love. Things happen to people that make them rethink about life. The series is emotional read that is for sure and saying Jack and Andi doesn't deserve a chance for life, love and family maybe is not really reading between the lines wrote. This is all good to talk about and see how people view books. thanks

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

HUH?!

Clearly there is technically adultery in the book. You might feel that in these circumstances it's justified, and that's fine. But why shouldn't the reviewer mention that in case other readers feel differently?

message 9: by HJ (last edited Mar 24, 2013 03:37PM) (new)

HJ Tina, thanks for this succinct review. I do not like reading books where the heroine is NOT the only 'love of the hero's life,' so after reading the excerpt and several reviews, including yours, I realized that - despite the fact that typically I enjoy Marie Force's books- this book is one I would not enjoy.

Good review.

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Dawn-chris wrote: "Treading WaterI am not sure why the above review says adultery or cheating in this book. I think that Jack was put in an impossible situation. At what point in a situation such as this one, do y..."

Hey Dawn Thanks for your comments. I am a big fan of MF and have read all the books so far in this series. My personal take is that there is text-book adultery in this book because Jack is still married to Claire and having sex with Andi, but YMMV. However I don't mind it as a plot point although adultery is such a flash-point for some readers in romance novels, I think the review had to include it.

message 11: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Andrea wrote: "I guess to each his own but I love Jack. I especially love that he is a broken man who is torn between what he desires and wants to what he feels is his duty. No relationship is perfect and Jack is..."

I don't think anywhere in the review I state that I hate Jack. Actually I said I loved the dilemma but disliked how cavalier her seemed about Andi's place in his life. My two biggest issues were a) Andi didn't have enough personal reservations about her situation and b) Jack appearing to have no problems with his kids being born out of wedlock while his wife was still comatose but suddenly did a 180 when she was awakened. He had no idea she would ever wake up. In fact he had every though that she wouldn't. So in one breath it was ok for the kids to be born out of wedlock and in another it wasn't just because serendipitously Claire woke up? That bothered me.

message 12: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Jane wrote: "Hey Tina, I'm sorry for the deluge of comments. I linked to your helpful review in a post at Dear Author and apparently the fans came out to support their favorite author. I didn't mean to draw un..."

Jane, Girl, it's all good. I don't mind discussing where I am coming from in my review. If I didn't then I wouldn't post on GR.

message 13: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Judy wrote: "I loved this book and series!!!"

I liked this series too!

message 14: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina HJ wrote: "Tina, thanks for this succinct review. I do not like reading books where the heroine is NOT the only 'love of the hero's life,' so after reading the excerpt and several reviews, including yours, I..."

Hi HJ-

Thanks for you comment. I am glad my review helped.

message 15: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Tina wrote: "Dawn-chris wrote: "Treading WaterI am not sure why the above review says adultery or cheating in this book. I think that Jack was put in an impossible situation. At what point in a situation suc..."

I do understand what you are saying I guess about text-book and I am glad that all was pointed for people to form their own opinions :)